Monday, August 15, 2005

My Impromptu Weekend Randevous

T.h.u.r.s.d.a.y
11 am
Phone rings...
"We are going back to Kuantan tonight. Can you take leave?"
"Meeee(what I call my mom), today? How come so last minute? l've got tons of work piling…l'm leading cg tomorrow...."

"Hmm…Should l go? Should I not go? Hmm…. Ah! Hang it all, go only la. Long time haven't seen ah kong"

12.30pm
A few smses after, cg lesson passed. Had no problems getting leave (Thank God for an understanding boss)

2pm
Lunch hour spent catching up on work. My colleague, Huey Ling appears by my desk with tandoori chicken and naan, plate, cutlery and all. So, so nice of her :) l felt so pampered...

9pm
Leave an extremely hazy KL..Zzzz....zzzz..not there yet..zzzz...

12.30am
Arrived..ah kong still awake!! Maid exclaims “Ah kong tak mau tidor.. Dia tunggu anaknya balik dulu..” He was so excited about us coming back, he stayed awake way past his 9.30 sleep time, waiting for us. I think this was one of those few things which really make him happy these days – visits by his children and grandchildren, having the normal silence of the house broken by noisy banter and laughter. MUST, MUST, MUST go home more often…

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
F.r.i.d.a.y

Spent the day visiting relatives from my mom’s side of the family. Kidnapped my cousin, Pearly from her new-found-furniture-tycoon-boyfriend for shopping and Bewitched.

Brought ah kong for restaurant dinner. Halfway through dinner, his eyes get teary. *Tell myself - control, Lyd don’t hampau here also…* Since ah po passed away, life has probably taken a 360 degree turn for ah kong.. Suddenly by himself in a house that used to boom with my grandma’s Hakka-style-loud voice; kids mostly in KL. Being sick with cancer has added to the change. They say aging is an inevitable process, yet I always feel it, to see a fierce man who used to be full of strength, now confined to a wheelchair, barely able to speak, or move… *Mental note to myself – Never ever ever let my parents grow old staying alone…*

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
S.a.t.u.r.d.a.y
White sandy beaches, bright sunshine, rolling waves and warm breeze.. Always my most loved part of going back…

Spent the day in Awana Kijal, Kemaman, by the beach, lazing on a beach chair, book in hand. Took long walks along the waterline, enjoying the foamy waves lapping at my feet……

Ahh.. if only I could have this everyday…





. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
S.u.n.d.a.y
Go-home-day :(
Said goodbye to my ah kong, with promises to return again soon. Hope he understood my half-past-6 Canto…

I thought that no more adventures lay ahead, except for a boring trip back to the city. Boy, was I wrong.. We stopped by in Temerloh, a small town where I spend most of my childhood. Visited a few old friends. One thing lead to another, and soon my family and I were checking out our old church. Bumped into some more old friends there (Youth meeting was on).. Little toddlers, whom I had last seen as a kid, now all grown up into teenagers taller than me (ya, as usual la, always the short petite one) Really brings fond memories, to see all the uncles and aunties who used to pamper me as a kid, now with their own kids running around..

Well, what can I say, it was a great weekend. So much of catching up done… Miss my kampung already…

More pictures here

3 Comments:

At 8/16/2005 8:34 AM, Blogger Mike Wong said...

Such a nice weekend!, so Cool

 
At 8/21/2005 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

feels so nice to be back .... :)

tia

 
At 8/22/2005 4:41 PM, Blogger ahem_ahem said...

:) Yea... Was a wonderful weekend.. Come follow me back next time

 

Post a Comment

<< Home